Saturday, August 20, 2011

A.R.K......

I <3 the movie Evan Almighty and truly do hope that God is just as Morgan Freeman portrays him.....but there is one scene that I just love; and while I have always tried to do what I can for whoever I can, I think this is just awesome!


It is so true....and I think everyone should really get out there everyday and do one random act of kindness for a complete stranger , or someone you know and then just run away. It is so much cooler if you don't wait around to get thanked (although it is ok to hide somewhere they can't see you if you want to see the look on their faces when they see what you have done, lol) .  It doesn't have to be some huge act or an expensive act...it can be something small. In fact I think some small kindnesses such as a smile and an understanding nod to the mom in the grocery aisle dealing with a cranky toddler go a long way. And when i used to live in DC, I liked to randomly hand out metro passes to the people asking for loose change at the stations. And sometimes I like to just show up to a friend's house and clean it for them (bonus points if I can sneak in while they are not home and get it done, all ninja like, LOL) .

I think my gift in life that God has given me is service, as I love to help. I am the one who genuinely enjoys cleaning up after a MOPs meeting or taking a friend a meal and I do truly love being able to help people. And to follow another saying I once heard, "The purpose of life is to find your gift, the meaning of life is to give it away", that is what I try to do. And sometimes I probably come on too strong , but it really is with the best of intentions, I swear. I may not ever be able to make some huge mark in this world, but hopefully I can make a whole bunch of lil ones. The kind people remember for a while with fondness, you know.

Another thing I challenge people to do is do something silly at least once a day. I find completely random acts of silliness to be the most fun things ever! One of my personal faves is to put on my pink wig and go out in public somewhere, like to the mall. Watching people fight the urge to smile or even laugh at me is so hilarious, and trying to do it all with a straight face like it is completely natural for me to be wearing pink hair is so much fun. (You get bonus points if you do this one with your very conservative friends in tow, hehe). I also like to make random silly faces at other people's kids, especially when their parents are not looking, I get some very funny reactions. I have learned however not to do that to my son's classroom without the teacher knowing.....otherwise you have a classroom of kids getting into trouble and it's all your fault. But if these do not suit you there are hundreds of random silly things you can do, I also like to dance and sing to the music in grocery stores, or skip through the mall, or dance and sing at the top of my lungs while driving down the road (bonus points if people stare at you like you have lost your mind) , I also like to wear crazy loud pajamas out in public or pink frilly tutu's , anything to illicit a smile from some random passerby or even just a WTH look. And I highly recommend any of you try one of these things too. There is something to be said for being silly. It keeps you young and I even read once that couples who do silly things together stay together longer, lol.



And one last thing.....I think people should do something at least once in a while (I personally shoot for once a month) that scares them.....It is exhilarating and liberating. And I always feel just a lil bit braver and stronger as a person after each time.

So hey just some thoughts, and maybe some challenges for you guys......because just think of how amazing it would be if  every single person we knew did one random nice thing for someone they didn't know every day . Just saying =)

No comments:

Post a Comment